Welcome to the May 2013 edition of Virtual Vegan Potluck! This is my first time participating in the potluck and I’m pretty stoked to be joining forces with 168 other bloggers to create the ULTIMATE vegan three course meal! If you don’t know what the heck I’m talking about, click on the icon above and find out more. Just don’t forget to come back!
Hi again. If you’ve followed the potluck from the start, excellent work. Your virtual stomach must be getting full, but I hope you have a bit of room left for another dessert! Those of you who read my blog regularly already know I have a crazy sweet tooth, and have been known to go a little overboard in the bulk candy aisle at the grocery store from time to time. While I’ve been trying to scale back my sugar consumption recently, I figured it would be OK to make an exception – this being my Virtual Vegan Potluck and all. So in honour of the occasion I whipped up a batch of these moist, uber decadent Salted Triple Chocolate Rhubarb Brownies!
At this point some of you might be thinking only a crazy person would combine chocolate and rhubarb. But don’t call the asylum quite yet! Somehow the tangy punch of rhubarb marries blissfully with the richness of dark chocolate – and despite the 50 percent divorce rate, this couple is together for the long term. Ok, that was a super corny… just believe me, it’s a flavour combination that works. Rhubarb is coming into season in this part of the world, and whether you’re fan of it or not, I can almost guarantee you’ll love these brownies! As an added bonus they’re a one-bowl affair, so you can have a clean kitchen and eat your brownies, too. And oh yeah, they taste even better the next day (if they last that long).
If you haven’t done so already, be sure to visit the dessert preceding mine in the potluck at The Soulicious Life. And definitely head on over to the next dessert in the lineup at Lucy’s Friendly Foods. Finally, props to Vegan Bloggers Unite for hosting the potluck! See you all next time… 🙂
Recipe: Salted Triple Chocolate Rhubarb Brownies
For the brownies (batter adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated cane sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced small
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped into pea-sized chunks
For the icing
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (plus a bit more for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 x 11 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, coconut oil, apple sauce and vanilla.
- Add cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and mix on low just until everything is combined.
- Gently fold in rhubarb and chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- In the same bowl you used for the batter (or use a clean one – just trying to save you some work) cream together margarine and vanilla.
- Blend in cocoa powder and salt.
- Blend in powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in almond milk and continue beating until frosting is light and fluffy. [If you find the frosting too dry, add a bit more almond milk. If it’s too soft, add more powdered sugar].
- Cover and set aside until you’re ready to frost brownies.
- Using a frosting knife or spatula, frost top of brownies.
- Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top of frosting.
- Cut into squares and serve. Eat!